Thursday, March 17, 2022

SPOTLIGHT w/INTERVIEW - PNR - BURIED ALIVE (Spirit Walker, #2) by Donnette Smith


Buried Alive
Spirit Walker, #2
by Donnette Smith
Date of Publication: March 14th 2022
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Cover Artist: Kristian Norris
Genre: Paranormal Romance
ISBN: 978-1-5092-4082-1 Paperback
ISBN: 978-1-5092-4083-8 Digital
Number of pages: 250
Word Count: 65,142
Tagline: When your sixth sense speaks, believe it. 

BLURB
As a clairvoyant, Jenna Langley has foreseen her fair share of murder. But the night she is haunted by visions of a woman buried alive in a makeshift casket, nothing prepares her for the chilling reality that the victim she saw in her vision is herself. 

Having survived a recent tragedy, and now tasked with the duty of planning her wedding, everyone attributes Jenna’s disturbing dreams to stress. Even her fiancĂ© does his best to convince her she is perfectly safe. 

But someone wants revenge and Jenna is the target of that obsession. Her only hope for survival is if her fiancé, Detective Cole Rainwater, can root out who wants her dead before time runs out.


Excerpt:

At the same time a sharp intake of breath filled her lungs, Jenna’s eyes snapped open. Blackness surrounded her; panic set in instantly as soft whimpers set off a series of echoes. It took a moment for it to sink in the sounds were her own.

Raising both hands, her palms struck a hard object not a foot above her head. She slid her palms over a rough surface, searching, feeling across the top and down the sides of what felt like a wooden crate.

That embodied her like a tomb.

She let go a shriek, crying out in agony, “No! no! please, no!” There was no doubt she was in the very place that stoked the deepest fear in her heart. Just the way her vision forewarned. She was buried alive.




Author Info
Although not a native Texan, Donnette Smith has spent more than half her life living in the Lone Star State. She is an entrepreneur and former business owner of Tailor Maid Services LLC. 

After spending a few years working as a journalist for the Blue Ridge Tribune, she realized her love for writing romantic detective novels. Her stories cover a wide range of genres, from horror, time travel, mystery, fantasy, paranormal, and thriller. But one theme stays the same, there is always a detective solving a crime, and a gorgeous victim he would lay down his life to protect. 

Donnette’s biggest fascination is with forensic science and crime scene investigations. Her first mystery/suspense novel, Lady Gabriella, was published in 2008. Her second novel was a horror/mystery/suspense titled Cunja and debuted in 2012. 

Her latest released novel, book 1 of the Spirit Walker Series, Killing Dreams is a fantasy/romance story and became available in September of 2021. Book 2 of the Spirit Walker Series, Buried Alive, is soon to be released on March 14, 2022.

The Book Junkie Reads . . .Reckless Dreams  Interview with  . . . Donnette Smith . . .

Do you feel that writing is an ingrained process or just something that flows naturally for you? I think both. I believe writers are born with the gift to write. One is either a writer or they are not, just like a person is born to be a doctor, lawyer, artist, etc. It’s who and what they are. 

However, being born a writer doesn’t necessarily mean you can pull it off without a hitch. It’s a craft, I have found, you must grow into. And it can take years to learn how to do it effectively. But the good news is, if you were born a writer, you will find your way.  

What mindset or routine do you feel the need to set when preparing to write (in general whether you are working on a project or just free writing)? I’m a big fan of plot outlines. I will write a quick overview of each scene in the story before I began typing the manuscript. I use that rough outline like a road map. Of course, as I begin writing the manuscript, the story will change. That’s when my creative juices really began to flow. 

I’m never one to set a certain number of words to write each day. I know that works for some, but for me, when I start writing a new story, I’m on such a high that I can think of nothing else, and I know my word count will rack up without setting a goal to get it there.  

Do you take your character prep to heart? Do you nurture the growth of each character all the way through to the page? Do you people watch to help with development? Or do you build upon your character during story creation? My characters have always developed during the writing phase. That’s how I get to know them best. They are always a mixture of myself, people I’ve met in life, and various experiences I’ve had interacting with the world. 

I know a good writer friend who keeps spreadsheets of different characters he invents. I think that’s a cool concept. But for me, designing something of that magnitude would take away from my writing time. When I get an idea for a new story, I’m all about the manuscript. My characters will mature as I write their fate.   

Can you share your next creative project(s)? If yes, can you give a few details? I am presently working on book 3 of the Spirit Walker Series, The Stolen. This one is about my main character, Jenna Langley having been kidnapped by a human trafficking ring. She must rely on the guidance of a dead girl who was once their captive to survive and try to escape. 

Writing about human trafficking is my way of raising awareness of how big this criminal organization has become in our society. Human trafficking has become the second most profitable criminal activity in the United States, second only to drug trafficking. That’s scary when you stop to think about it.  

What are some of your writing/publishing goals for this year? I haven’t made up my mind whether the Spirit Walker Series will have more than 3 books to its credit. On second thought, I’d like to leave that decision up to my fans.

So, what do you guys think? Should we go for book 4 in the Spirit Walker Series, or should we start a new series with new characters? Please email me your thoughts on this at romance@donnettesmith.com and tell me why you came to your conclusion. I would love your help in deciding this. 


https://twitter.com/
https://www.facebook.com/authordonnettesmith
https://www.donnettesmith.com/newsletter.html
https://www.donnettesmith.com/index.html
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1866867.Donnette_Smith

Hosted by
Presented by

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me here today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cover and trailer, liked the excerpt and Buried Alive sounds like my kind of book and I am looking forward to enjoying it! Thanks for sharing it with me and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete