A ROYAL SHADE OF BLUE
Modern Royals, #1
by Aven Ellis
Narrator: Andrea Emmes
Length: 10 hours and 1 minute
Released: August 14th 2018
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Aven Ellis' Casting Picks for A Royal Shade of Blue
- Katherine McNamara as Clementine Jones
- Freddie Stroma as Prince Christian
- Kate Beckinsdale as Queen Antonia
- Laurence Nicotra as King Arthur
- Francis Cadieux as Prince Alexander
- Amanda Schull as Princess Elizabeth
- Fabian Castro as Roman Lawler
- Helen Mirren as Jillian Park
The Book Junkie Reads . . . Review of . . . A ROYAL SHADE OF BLUE (Modern Royals, #1) . . . To say that I really like this story will be selling it short. To say that the list of dream cast members were a contributing factor would be right on point. I very much enjoy this read shortly after receiving the authors' dream cast for this romance. Yes, I say romance not rom-com. I found it to be more real than some romances and more romance than a combination of romance and comedy. Don't mistake my words. There were moments to laugh out loud at and then those just to laugh, but I found it to be all romance.
It's safe to say that you will fall in love with Clementine Jones and all that encompasses her. She was a delight fresh air feel. She was honest. She was herself. She was smoother by family and loved by one man many thousands of miles away. All this before it happened.
Aven Ellis did a fantastic job selecting the characters to portray her characters for a movie. I could so totally see Kate Beckinsdale as Queen Antonia. I would love to see Helen Mirren as Jillian. She would rock that role. I loved having this dream cast in my head as I listen to the story. I was able to have a more vivid visual.
Clementine and Christian were so delightful together and their connection was just wonderful. The I'm-here-for-you-friendship even before they meet each other was delicious. Now, the big reveal had me reeling just a bit. I was very understanding of Clementine and her reaction, but a bit put off that she was not more open minded. I sereious recommend this romance to lovers of romance and mainly those hallmark romance lovers. This was so much a better romance of royalty than what I have seen on Hallmark in a while. It was more real. Gave the reader/viewer/listener more to fall in love with.
Andrea Emmes took my breath away. She did the job for English, American, Irish, and upper-crust stogie well. The audio was smooth and gave me much to enjoy.
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Aven Ellis. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
When art-history student Clementine Jones receives a message complimenting her latest internship project, she doesn't hesitate to answer it. She never dreamed this decision would not only change her life, but the future of the British monarchy as well.
Her response leads Clementine to the mysterious CP Chadwick, a British man studying history at Cambridge. Clementine finds CP charming, smart, and unlike any man she's ever met. Most of all, when she confides her medical past to CP, his perception of her doesn't change. He doesn't treat her as fragile like her parents do. CP sees her as normal, which is something she cherishes.
Clementine, however, has no idea CP is actually Prince Christian of Wales, who has never had a "normal" life. Christian is at a crossroad. His destiny is to be a working royal, but he is desperate to fill that role in his own way. Wary of others, he's kept himself closed off from the world - until he lets Clementine in.
A royal romance is never a fairy tale, but Clementine and Christian are determined to write their own version. Can they overcome their own fears - as well as the constraints of a royal life - to reach their own happily ever after?
Aven began her publishing career in 2013 with her debut release, Connectivity. She currently writes hockey and baseball romances as well as a modern royal romance series. Her books are designed to make readers laugh out loud and fall in love. Happily-ever-after endings and good-boy heroes are guaranteed. Aven lives in the Dallas area with her family. She is a huge fan of both the Dallas Stars and Texas Rangers. Aven loves shopping and fashion and can spend hours playing with fragrances in any department store. She can be found chatting it up on social media, eating specialty M&Ms, and crushing on the latest outfit the Duchess of Cambridge is wearing.
Q&A with Author Aven Ellis
- Are you an audiobook listener?
- What about the audiobook format appeals to you? Yes, I’m always listening to a book-when I’m in my car, and right before bed. I love the audiobook format because it allows me to read at times when I can’t. As a writer, when I’m done writing for the day, my eyes need a break. Audiobooks fill that need nicely!
- How did you select your narrator?
- The Modern Royals Series is produced by Tantor, and they gave me a couple of narrators to choose from. But I requested Andrea because I heard a clip of her British accent and I knew she was perfect to carry the series forward! Her accent is so good I had a British friend ask if she was British! There’s no greater compliment than that!
- Were there any real life inspirations behind your writing?
- I have been fascinated with the British royal family since I was a tween. People always come to me to talk royals and finally another author said, “Why aren’t you writing a royal series? You would be perfect for that.” So I thought about it and decided I wanted to create an alternate reality British royal family. I use the real palaces and traditions in the books, and it’s been a tremendous research project to get those details right, but I absolutely love telling royal stories.
- What gets you out of a writing slump? What about a reading slump?
- If I get to a sticking point with my writing, I bounce ideas off my critique partners and beta team until the story is back in the right direction. For a reading slump-I’m lucky, I’ve never had one.
- How did you celebrate after finishing this novel?
- I always treat myself to a bottle of perfume after finishing a novel, and that’s what I did.
- If you had the power to time travel, would you use it? If yes, when and where would you go?
- You know what? I wouldn’t. I’m grateful for the time I’m in and wouldn’t want to go back to any other time.
- What do you say to those who view listening to audiobooks as “cheating” or as inferior to “real reading”?
- If you are consuming a story, if you are enjoying escaping to another world, to me that’s all that matters. Personally, if you are listening to a one of my audiobooks you are consuming my story and that’s all that matters.
- What's your favorite:
- Food: steak
- Song: Poison by Bell Biv DeVoe
- Book: Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
- Television show: MasterChef
- Movie The King’s Speech
- Band: Don’t really have one at the moment
- Sports team: Dallas Stars
- City: Dallas
- Are any of those things referenced in appearance in your work?
- My favorite foods appear all the time! I set a series in Dallas, too.
- What’s next for you?
- I’ll be releasing the third book in my Rinkside in the Rockies series-Outscored. That is a romantic comedy and yes, it will be in audio, too.
Giveaway: $25 Amazon Gift Card
BOOK 1- A ROYAL SHADE OF BLUE
Aug. 26th: A Blue Million Books KayBee's Bookshelf, A Literary Blog One Last Page Book Blog T's Stuff
Aug. 30th: What Is That Book About Nesie's Place BookishOwlette (Review, Giveaway) Turning Another Page
ug. 31st: Teatime and Books Haddie's Haven Smada's Book Smack Dazzled by Books Guilty Indulgence Bookclub
BOOK 2- THE PRINCESS POSE
Sep. 2nd: Valerie Ullmer | Romance Author The Book Junkie Reads . . . KayBee's Bookshelf, A Literary Blog
Sep. 6th: Haddie's Haven Smada's Book Smack Reading for the Love of Books Guilty Indulgence Bookclub
Plugging you into the audio community since 2016.
Sign up as a tour host here.