Friday, February 9, 2018

SPOTLIGHT w/INTERVIEW - Freaky Franky by William Blackwell

Freaky Franky
by William Blackwell
Date of Publication: December 3rd 2017
Publisher: Telemachus Press
Cover Artist: Johnny Breeze
Genre: Horror
Tagline: Santa Muerte followers discover the horrifying consequences of worshipping with evil intentions.
 
BLURB
When an enigmatic town doctor saves the life of Anisa Worthington’s dying son, she abandons Christianity in favor of devotion to the cult of Santa Muerte or Saint Death. Some believe the mysterious skeleton saint will protect your loved ones; help in matters of the heart; provide abundant happiness, health, wealth and justice. But others, including the Catholic Church, call it blasphemous, evil and satanic.

Anisa introduces Saint Death to troubled Catholic friend Helen Randon and strange things begin happening. One of Helen’s enemies is brutally murdered and residents of Montague, a peaceful little town in Prince Edward Island, begin plotting to rid the Bible belt of apostates.

Anisa suspects Helen is perverting the good tenets of Santa Muerte but, before she can act, a terrible nightmare propels her to the Dominican Republic in search of Freaky Franky, her long-lost and unstable brother, who mysteriously disappeared without a trace twenty years ago.

To her horror, Anisa learns Freaky Franky is also worshiping Santa Muerte with evil intentions. As a fanatical and hell-bent lynch mob tightens the noose, mysterious murders begin occurring all around Anisa. Unsure about who’s an enemy and who’s an ally, she’s thrust into a violent battle to save her life as well as the lives of her unpredictable friends and brother.

Amazon     Amazon.ca     B & N      Author Website


Author Info
William Blackwell studied journalism at Calgary’s Mount Royal University and English literature at Vancouver’s University of British Columbia. He worked as a print journalist for many years before becoming an author. He has written over seventeen novels, mainly in the horror genre. Currently living on an acreage in Prince Edward Island, Blackwell loves to travel and write dark fiction.


The Book Junkie Reads . . . Interview with William Blackwell . . .

How would you describe your style of writing to someone that has never read your work?
Raw and graphic, clear and concise. Trained as a journalist, I’m not a fan of overly descriptive, verbose or flowery prose. Before sending a manuscript to my editor, I edit my own words ad nauseam for clarity and brevity. I love Earnest Hemingway’s simple writing style; it communicates to audiences from all walks of life—from elementary school children to scholarly doctorate degree holders.

What mindset or routine do you feel the need to set when preparing to write (in general whether you are working on a project or just free writing)?
Whether I’m working on a project or just scribbling ideas, I need to have a clear head. This means little partying, lots of sleep and a healthy diet. Once I set a schedule, I’m very disciplined. First thing in the morning, I check emails, phone and social media messages. I respond to the important ones and then turn the phone and all social media off. I don’t like being interrupted when I work. With a hot coffee at my side, I get started. If I’m working on a novel, I knock out at least 2000 words before leaving the office—whether it takes two or twelve hours. I used to write at night but found I couldn’t turn my head off when it came time for bed.

Do you take your character prep to heart? Do you nurture the growth of each character all the way through to the page? Do you people-watch to help with development? Or do you build upon your character during story creation?
I definitely strive for multi-dimensional characters. Before I read Stephen King’s On Writing, I cranked out three or four novels without a lot of backstory to my characters. King says everyone has a story, a past that shapes their personalities, but there is a fine line between boring the readers with it, and expertly weaving it into the narrative to help readers identify with the characters. With the main characters, I try to weave their stories into the novel to incorporate shades of gray. The trick is to be able to do this without being accused of info dump. While I do build upon my characters as the story progresses, at least with lead protagonists, I try to get their backstories dispensed with early, so readers can understand and identify with their motivations. Many of my characters contain elements of real-life people.

Have you found yourself bonding with any particular character? If so which one(s)?
In my new horror novel Freaky Franky, Franklin Reiger is one of my favorite characters. Freaky Franky is more than an evil character. He’s multi-dimensional. As a child, he witnesses the deaths of many close family members, and eventually believes he’s cursed. Everyone around him dies and perhaps reluctantly he decides to give a few of them a little nudge. But, guild-ridden and regretful, he embarks down a landmine-laced path for redemption and rebirth. I found myself feeling sorry for him toward the end of the novel.

Do you have a character that you have been working on that you can't wait to put to paper?
Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of research and writing a lot of blog posts on sleep disorders, including lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis, sleepwalking, night terrors, even sexsomnia, where a person has sex, sometimes with an unwilling partner, during sleep and wakes up with absolutely no recollection of it. In my mind’s eye, I envision a down-on-his-luck male protagonist whose life is unravelling because he suffers from one—if not all—of these disorders.

Have you ever felt that there was something inside of you that you couldn't control? If so what? If no what spurs you to reach for the unexperienced?
The something inside me that I can’t control is my creativity.  And my nightmares. If I go too long between novels, I start feeling a little jittery and unsatisfied. Almost like withdrawal symptoms. Out of nowhere, story ideas and characters spring up in my head, demanding to be born. Many of my novels are inspired by my nightmares. Sometimes I wake up with a complete story outline in mind and quickly write it down before it disappears. The way I see it, the only cure for my writing addiction is to put pen to paper, create another novel, give birth to and immortalize a cast of interesting and often horrifying characters. I don’t think I chose the horror genre. It chose me. I guess there are worse things to be addicted to.

Author Links:
Hosted by

Presented by

No comments:

Post a Comment