Monday, November 27, 2017

Audiobook TOUR - Tarnished Legacy (Soul Dance, #2) by Ann Gimpel

Tarnished Legacy
Soul Dance, #2
by Ann Gimpel
Narrated by Gregory Salinas
Release Date: June 16th 2017
Publisher: Ann Gimpel Books, LLC
Unabridged Audiobook
Length: 8 hrs and 16 mins

The Book Junkie Reads . . . Review of . . . TARNISHED LEGACY (Soul Dance, #2) . . . Tarnished Legacy brings us back to Tairin and her struggles to continue on undetected. She has traversed between countries and caravans for many years. One day leads to her being place in a situation that could get her killed, but at the same time she can’t let anyone know what she is. Elliott catches her but there was just something about her that stayed his hand. He wanted something else from her. The mixing of race was forbidden and this intensified what was going on between Tairin and Elliott. There was more and yet it was hard to just push forward. I was not read to have it end but I wanted to know how things were going to progress. This historical PNR was magic. I was transported and lived the life as if I were there with them.

Tarnished Legacy had Tarnished Beginnings attached also . . . Where are my words to describe the entrance in to this enchanted world of myths and magic. We start with an introduction to Tairin and her wolf. The struggles and reality for her as she traverse life being more but not. She was loved by both parents but not ready for what life had in store for her. Tarnished Beginnings was a brilliant start to this new series. I was excited to learn of Tairin without having romance cloud my perspective. This was my chance to understand her and her background in a quick read that flowed nicely in to the next. Which allowed me to love her even more when I read her romance journey in Tarnished Legacy.

Narrator Review of . . . TARNISHED LEGACY (Soul Dance, #2) . . . Gregory Salinas was an unexpected choice, but was a good listen. He voice was smooth and clear. The audio recording was clean, clear, and of good quality.

Soul Dance series:
Tarnished Beginning – Soul Dance, #1
Tarnished Legacy – Soul Dance, #2
Tarnished Prophecy – Soul Dance, #3
Tarnished Journey – Soul Dance, #4

BLURBS
Tarnished Beginnings
Egypt is a haven for magic-wielders of all kinds. Vampires hold court, staying one step ahead of the priests who want them dead. Gypsy caravans roam the Nile, plying their wares.

Tairin Jabari was born in a caravan and has always believed she's Romani. Why wouldn't she? Her mother and father never suggested otherwise. The Rom have harsh rules. When Tairin's first shift catches her unaware at 13, her father disappears, and the elders move with deadly speed to punish her mother for mating outside the blood.

Hurt, lost, confused, and fearing for her own life, Tairin runs away, leaving her mother's smoking funeral pyre behind. With her survival on the line every single day, she and her wolf face hard choices.

Tarnished Legacy
Half Romani, Tairin's no stranger to hiding her mixed blood from gypsy caravans. What she can't hide is her perpetual youth, courtesy of her shifter heritage. She's overstayed her welcome where she is, but Germany is at war, and travel has become impossible for everyone targeted by the Reich.

Elliott's clairvoyance is strong. Seer for all the caravans in Germany, he catches Tairin eavesdropping outside their leader's wagon. He should turn her in, but he can't bring himself to do that. Instead, he interrogates her. Her magic is different, but he can't figure out quite what she is.

Any association between Romani and shifters is forbidden. Tairin should leave right now, tonight - before he discovers what she is and destroys her.

©2017 Ann Gimpel Books, LLC



Guest Post from Ann Gimpel
Favorite moments from the Soul Dance Series.

First off, thank you so much for inviting me back to your blog. I very much appreciate it and hope your holiday season has been wonderful so far.
My favorite moments from Soul Dance actually happened “off screen.” I research all my books, and I spent quite a bit of time reading about the history of the Romani people and their mistreatment throughout Europe. While I’d known they were persecuted by the Nazis, I had no idea the Dutch singled out the Rom before 1920 and sent them off to work camps to be reintegrated into society. Except they never released any of them. Most caravans had disbanded by 1930, and the Rom hid their identities.

I didn’t write this series in order. I wrote Tarnished Legacy first. Since I needed a shorter book for an anthology I was part of, I wrote Tarnished Beginnings, which led to more research. Shifters have long lives, and I rolled the clock back two centuries to 1700s Egypt for the prequel. Romani caravans did travel the Nile River plying their wares during that timeframe. Interestingly, they were treated better than after they migrated to Western Europe.

From a behind the curtain perspective, Tarnished Legacy and Tarnished Prophecy are retellings of Romeo and Juliet. Forbidden love finds a way, no matter how the cards are stacked against it. I’d originally only planned for three books in this series, but it was clear to me after I finished Prophecy that I had to write one more, and it truly surprised me. My old friends, the Celtic gods, showed up. Pesky attention hogs that they are, they can’t stay away.

Soul Dance has a little bit of everything. History. Persecution for being who you are. Love across enemy lines, as it were. Betrayal. Deceit. People rising above earlier bad decisions. Our mistakes shaping who we are. I’m not sure what it is about me and the sea, but book four has a North Sea crossing, a sea god, and of course a boat. My current Bitter Harvest series takes place almost exclusively on boats, so apparently I haven’t gotten the sea out of my system.

Thanks for the opportunity to think about the Soul Dance books as a whole. Tairin, Ilona, and Yara are kickass heroines, and Elliot, Jamal, and Stewart are strong men, but with enough compassion to make them swoon worthy. I like my alphas warm and sensitive, able to share power in relationships, which is why I build my male characters the way I do.


If you read (or listen to) this series, please let me know what you think!

Author Info
Ann Gimpel is a mountaineer at heart. Recently retired from a long career as a psychologist, she remembers many hours at her desk where her body may have been stuck inside four walls, but her soul was planning yet one more trip to the backcountry. Around the turn of the last century (that would be 2000, not 1900!), she managed to finagle moving to the Eastern Sierra, a mecca for those in love with the mountains. It was during long backcountry treks that Ann’s writing evolved. Unlike some who see the backcountry as an excuse to drag friends and relatives along, Ann prefers solitude. Stories always ran around in her head on those journeys, sometimes as a hedge against abject terror when challenging conditions made her fear for her life, sometimes for company. Eventually, she returned from a trip and sat down at the computer. Three months later, a five hundred page novel emerged. Oh, it wasn’t very good, but it was a beginning. And, she learned a lot between writing that novel and its sequel.

Around that time, a friend of hers suggested she try her hand at short stories. It didn’t take long before that first story found its way into print and they’ve been accepted pretty regularly since then. One of Ann’s passions has always been ecology, so her tales often have a green twist.

In addition to writing, Ann enjoys wilderness photography. She lugs pounds of camera equipment in her backpack to distant locales every year. A standing joke is that over ten percent of her pack weight is camera gear which means someone else has to carry the food! That someone is her husband. They’ve shared a life together for a very long time. Children, grandchildren and three wolf hybrids round out their family.

Author Links:
Hosted by
Presented by

No comments:

Post a Comment