Friday, October 20, 2017

SPOTLIGHT w/INTERVIEW - The Night of Elisa (Illustrated Gothic Novel, #1) by Isis Sousa

The Night of Elisa
Illustrated Gothic Novel, #1
by Isis Sousa
Date of Publication: February 2016
Publisher: Tragic Books
Cover Artist: Isis Sousa
Genre: Gothic, Paranormal, Horror
~ The Corpse Bride meets Penny Dreadful ~
The Book Junkie Reads . . . Interview with Isis Sousa

How would you describe you style of writing to someone that has never read your work?
Tough question! Perhaps the easiest description would be: a little bit poetic, a little bit tragic with many nuances between the lines. My prose style is slightly different for each book, On The Night of Elisa, it heavily influenced on screenwriting, while on As Cold As Thorns it is somewhat more archaic.

What mindset or routine do you feel the need to set when preparing to write (in general whether you are working on a project or just free writing)?
For writing: In general, I like to put on a good music (Gothic, Metal, Darkwave or Hard Rock). I like to drink tea/coffee and eat some snacks and sit comfortably in an arm chair or on the sofa in the living room . I never write in the office!  Also,  I don’t write daily or at a certain time. I don’t have a routine. ^.^

For painting/drawing: only at the office! Then I listen to great music as mentioned above and here and there grab a snack. I take short breaks regularly. As a professional, I have learned not to wait for a mood to get started, in fact I can work at any time with creative projects – fuck the muse!

One thing that I do as part of my preparation as a creative is to sleep enough, eat healthy, do regular exercises, collect art and music (and appreciate these everyday) and taking lessons on self-development and leadership. This helps me to be prepared and in great mood for any creative or life challenge.

Do you take your character prep to heart? Do you nurture the growth of each character all the way through to the page? Do you people watch to help with development? Or do you build upon your character during story creation?
I have a strange way of dealing with characters. For the first, they are and will always be the chore of my stories.  For me, it’s all about them! :-) Before I write any word in the story, I would have dreamed and thought of the character/s for at least one year. Then, I treat the writing as a blank canvas. I start and experiment a lot, changing ‘the picture’ as I write. I always ask myself: what would my character do in this situation? And by answering the question I move the story forward. I cry when my characters cry and I feel their pain – literally. So yes, I build them while creating the story, or better yet, I let them create the story so I can build them!

Have you found yourself bonding with any particular character? If so which one(s)?
Yes! Leonhard, from The Night of Elisa has had a difficult life (or death) and is quite melancholic. We are both artists and I sympathize with him. Henrique, from As Cold As Thorns is my favourite character of all times. I love his pompousness, admire his talent and skills and find very entertaining when he makes himself the centre of attention. I am like him in some traits, while I would never be as narcissistic or this showman that he is… And I love his dark side as well!

Do you have a character that you have been working on that you can't wait to put to paper?
Yes! It is a couple – a poor, very unfortunate girl who is loving and goes through many sacrifices and her counterpart, a somehow monstrous man who makes an important discovery for mankind. I would love to reveal more, but those are part of a new novel I have been dreaming about for several months and hope to start writing next year.

Have you ever felt that there was something inside of you that you couldn't control? If so what? If no what spurs you to reach for the unexperienced?

Very intriguing question!!!  There are some… Love, for example, is that one thing I will never be able to control or explain.  Maybe it is the same for most people? On a more peculiar level, since I was a kid, I have been attracted to the dark side of life. When kids liked to play out and read children’s books or watch family TV shows, I liked to stay home, drawing/painting, reading horror books, watching horror movies and listening to metal music. I was always this person that could go well along with anyone, but whom always preferred to be alone, or with very few selected people who shared my taste for things. To this day, I am passionate about dark stuff, from art to fashion and pretty much everything. As for reaching for the unexperienced, I guess it is always the curiosity, strong and willing.


BLURB
"Sometimes, life and love can follow the most obscure paths, just as they did for Elisa."

Her life becomes a dark, cold, lonely cage the day the devil takes her as his wife. He robs her of almost everything she holds dear: her health, her wealth and what is left of her family.

Trapped between the nuances of life and beyond-life, Elisa finds herself struggling for a better tomorrow. With her health deteriorating, how will she summon the courage and strength to stand her ground? And how far will she go in the pursuit of a dream?

Embark with Elisa on this puzzling Gothic adventure set in the late Victorian era, between the world of the Living and the picturesque, melancholic Duskland.

~~~~~

The Night of Elisa is first and furthermost Victorian Gothic, but can also fit within other genres such as Dark Fantasy, Paranormal, Mystery and Occult.

Parental guidance: for 16+ Contains blood, nudity and dark themes.
Buy Links:


Excerpt
As Leonhard felt the small hand holding his arm, he was filled with a kind of joy for the first time in decades. He didn’t want to remember the last time he had felt this way; parts of his dark past were locked.
‘Elisa’ was feeling reassured, at least for the moment. She and her new friend remained silent, but sometimes suspicious thoughts invaded their minds.
As they walked west, they heard feminine laughter in the distance. A conversation was taking place behind some bushes and the exciting tone awakened the couple’s curiosity. ‘Elisa’ reached closer to Leonhard’s ear, stretching her body to stand on her tiptoes, for he was a tall man. “I hear voices, sir! Sounds like two ladies are sharing some secrets!”
“I recognize those voices,” he whispered back, almost seduced by the sweet fragrance of her hair and skin. “They are my gardeners. Come, you shall see them!”
Leonhard guided her towards the voices. They approached two pretty, young girls sitting on the ground, cutting dahlias. The girls looked up at the couple curiously. They bowed to Leonhard and nodded to ‘Elisa’, who was shy and hid behind the protector she knew so little about. She gasped at the sight of the girls and gripped Leonhard’s arm tight. They are so seductive, she thought, envying the girls. Her heart sped up, as if it wanted to escape through her throat. She didn’t dare to speak, nor could she.
“So, who is this pretty young rose you’ve brought with you?” the girl on the left enquired.
“Is she going to stay in our garden?” the good-humored girl on the right asked, winking.
“She is my guest and is staying with us for an undefined time. Gerania, Iphigenia, we don’t know her name yet. I found her in the woods last evening and brought her here. It seems like she is suffering from some kind of memory loss, but I will help her as much and as long as I can. I am asking all in this house to welcome and serve her as well.” 
Leonhard bowed, kissing the ladies’ hands, gallant as usual. ‘Elisa’ grew jealous as she watched them. Gerania pinched ‘Elisa’s’ cheek and wished her welcome. ‘Elisa’ blushed with fear. Oh my! Why is this weird woman doing this to me?
“Don’t scare our guest, sister!” said Iphigenia, abruptly. “Where are your manners? Oh dear!”
“I am so sorry, my dear! I exceeded myself badly! I wish you a good stay in this house.” Gerania stared at ‘Elisa’ with a chilling smile.
Leonhard and ‘Elisa’ resumed their walk, leaving the sisters by themselves. The girls knelt on the ground again and talked about Leonhard’s new ‘friend’. They knew everybody in the village, except for this one. “She was so pretty, delicate, pure... This is bothering!” Gerania commented in a low voice. Her sister agreed. They soon went back to gardening and sharing their little secrets. The lady and the gentleman heard more laughter in the distance.
Buy Links:
Amazon      B & N    Book Depository
 
Author Info
I am an artist, illustrator and graphic designer who writes on my free time. But with all the imagination I have running lose, there came some stories… And there came some books!

I am born and grown up in Brazil, however I live in Mid-Norway with my beloved husband, in a tiny valley surrounded by mountains and with very few neighbours.

When I’m not doing artwork and illustration for clients, I’m doing woodcarving, painting ornaments, painting artworks for myself, and so on. Love Arts, History, Heavy Metal and Dark things.

Author Links:
Youtube:
Hosted by
Presented by

No comments:

Post a Comment