Tuesday, September 12, 2017

SPOTLIGHT w/INTERVIEW - YA FANTASY - Karina’s Silver Shoes by Denise Marques Leitao

Karina’s Silver Shoes
by Denise Marques Leitao
Date of Publication: September 18th 2017
Publisher: Sparkly Wave
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Tagline: She’s got the fate of a kingdom in her hands—or rather, in her shoes.
 
BLURB
When two princesses ask Karina to go to Whyland, a kingdom in a parallel dimension, to destroy her fascinating and potentially evil silver shoes, of course Karina accepts. Who would refuse a free trip to an alternate world?

Advised by a wise master and threatened by a beautiful stepmother, Karina goes on a journey with a princess to defeat a powerful witch. But Whyland is nothing like she expected. Karina finds herself stuck in a kingdom she doesn’t understand, with no clue on who to trust. Before saving anyone, she’d better save herself—if she figures out how.

From Brazilian / Canadian writer Denise Marques Leitao comes Karina’s Silver Shoes, a teen parody of fantasy and fairy-tale tropes with many female characters, friendships between girls and women, and some subtle romance.

If you like to read about strong girls and women, you’ve found your book.

Buy Link: Amazon
Excerpt
Nia raised her eyebrows. “Well, do you think you can just sneak into her fortress?”
“No. I mean… Wait. Fortress?”
Nia put her hands on her waist. “Where do you think she lives?”
“A… house?”
“Right, a little house in the woods, without any protection.”
In reality that was exactly what Karina had imagined. “And that’s not it?”
Nia got closer to Karina and stared at her. “It’s a fortress, better protected than any castle on Earth.”
“We’re still on Earth?”
“Don’t change the subject.”
Karina stepped back and waived her hands. “It’s not my fault. I didn’t plan anything. I was sleeping, the girls woke me up, they asked for help and I came. That’s it.”
Nia pointed her index finger towards Karina. “That’s exactly it. They are only going because you are going.”
Buy Link: Amazon
 

Author Info
Denise Marques Leitao was born and raised in Brazil. When she’s not creating worlds and characters, she’s discussing the meaning of the Universe with her son, writing unintellectual poetry, podcasting about popular culture, or teaching. She lives in Montreal, Canada, and has a Master’s in English Literature.

The Book Junkie Reads Interview with Denise Marques Leitao . . .

How would you describe your style of writing to someone that has never read your work?
I try to write what the character is thinking, and I want it to sound like a thought, not like a book. I write in third person, but from the character’s voice. For Karina’s Silver Shoes, it was a challenge, because the protagonist is young and she doesn’t read much, so I had to be careful with the vocabulary, and keep things simple.

What are some of your writing/publishing goals for this year?
2017 is going away soon. But I want to have another novel out next year.

Do you feel that writing is an ingrained process or just something that flows naturally for you?
It flows naturally, but I have to let it flow.

Do you have a character that you have been working on for a long time that still isn't quite ready, but fills you with excitement to work on the story?
Absolutely. I’m planning a sci-fi series, and I love the lead characters.

Where would you spend one full year, if you could go ANYWhere? What would you do with this time?
I have a son, so I can’t simply move around like that. But I would spend more time writing.

Can you share you next creative project(s)? If yes, can you give a few details?

Absolutely. I have a sci-fi trilogy, that leans more towards romance, and is for an older YA audience. And there’s also a sequel to Karina’s Silver Shoes. It was meant to be a standalone novel, but the characters are asking for a sequel. I’ll see what I decide depending on what the readers ask. 
Author Links:
 
Hosted by
Presented by

No comments:

Post a Comment