Tuesday, August 15, 2017

SPOTLIGHT w/INTERVIEW - Kinglet (The Gemeta Stone, #1) by Donna Migliaccio

Kinglet
The Gemeta Stone, #1
by Donna Migliaccio
Release Date: August 1st 2017
Publisher: Fiery Seas Publishing
Genre: Fantasy



BLURB
Kristan Gemeta has lost everything:  his crown, his kingdom, his courage – even his name.

In the vast wilderness of the Exilwald, he's known to the other outcasts as Kinglet.  As long as Kristan stays hidden, he can elude the bounty hunters, brutal soldiers and terrifying spells of Daazna, the Wichelord who killed his father and destroyed his life.

But when a new band of pursuers comes looking for him, Kristan's wariness gives way to intrigue. For bounty hunters they're oddly inept, and a young woman in their company is leaving enigmatic drawings wherever they go.  As they plunge deeper into the Exilwald, Kristan follows. He discovers the drawings symbolize the Gemeta Stone, an ancient family talisman seized by Daazna but now in the little band's possession.

With the Stone's protection, Kristan might stand a chance against Daazna.  He could regain his birthright and his honor.  But to obtain the Stone, he must reveal his true identity and risk the one thing he has left...his life.
Buy Link: 

Fiery Seas   Amazon   B & N   Kobo   iBooks

Author Info
Donna Migliaccio is a professional stage actress with credits that include Broadway, National Tours and prominent regional theatres.  She is based in the Washington, DC Metro area, where she co-founded Tony award-winning Signature Theatre and is in demand as an entertainer, teacher and public speaker.  Her award-winning short story, "Yaa and The Coffins," was featured in Thinkerbeat's 2015 anthology The Art of Losing. 

MY INTERVIEW WITH DONNA MIGLIACCIO

How would you describe your style of writing to someone that has never read your work?
I’d describe my writing as accessible. While I enjoy reading fantasies that are written in a heightened, formalized style, it’s not how I tell a story. I love writing dialogue and my characters speak like real people, although they don’t use contemporary slang.
My writing also has a lot of sensory imagery. I love describing not just how things look and sound, but how they smell and feel and taste.

What are some of your writing/publishing goals for this year?
FISKUR, the second book in my fantasy series THE GEMETA STONE, will be released in November, with the third book, STONEKING, to follow in early 2018, so I anticipate being very busy with edits for the rest of the year. Fortunately the fourth book in the series is already finished, although at some point I’m sure I’ll do another editing pass on it, just to get it as tight and clean as possible. Meanwhile I’m working on the first draft of the fifth and final book in the series. The rest of 2017 is going to be busy!

Do you feel that writing is an ingrained process or just something that flows naturally for you?
I think anyone can learn to write, and write well, but it isn’t something that happens overnight. It always makes me sad when I see new writers get discouraged because their writing isn’t perfect from the get-go. And it makes me even sadder when I hear people say that they want to write a book, but they hate reading. I think the more you read, and the more widely you read, the more you’ll learn all the different ways you can tell a story.

Do you have a character that you have been working on for a long time that still isn't quite ready, but fills you with excitement to work on the story?
I have an idea for a story about a fierce, middle-aged woman warrior character, but she’s back-burnered until I finish with my current series.


If you could spend one-week with 5 fictional characters, who would they be?
Granny Weatherwax from Terry’s Pratchett’s Discworld series, Captain Jack Aubrey from Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin books, Scout Finch from Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird, Hazel the rabbit from Richard Adams’ Watership Down, and Merlyn from T.H. White’s The Once and Future King.

Where would you spend one full year, if you could go ANYWhere? What would you do with this time?
I’ve been dying to go to Iceland, which has as an almost magical appeal for me. I’d hike out to waterfalls, glaciers and geysers, soak in a thermal pool, birdwatch at nearby islands, see the aurora borealis. And I’d learn the language so I could talk to the locals (who both read and write more books per capita than any place in the world). Ideally I’d find a neat little house with a work desk featuring an ocean view, and when I’d  walked and looked my fill, in the evening I’d put on some quiet music and write and write and write.

Author Links:
Hosted by
Presented by

No comments:

Post a Comment